Saturday, September 30, 2006

I want these movies...

I don't buy many movies. But, I consider these movies to be worth it and can't wait to own them:

Amor es perros--Mexican film about dog fighting and love. (They go together more naturally than you would think! haha) Also, a great representation of Mexican culture.

The Motorcycle Diaries--Story of the early life of the revolutionary Che Guevara. It chronicles his trek through South America with nothing but a friend and a motorcycle.

Man on Fire--you can't beat Denzel and Dakota Fanning in this movie. Also, Mark Anthony has a surprisingly strong performance. Plus, it takes place in Mexico City and shows the volcano I used to see every morning going to school in Puebla.

Crash--I only saw this film once; in fact, it was the first movie I saw in Mexico, and it blew me away. I remember feeling distinctly uncomfortable throughout the whole thing. And that's good. Probably the best movie addressing racial tension I've ever seen.

Born Into Brothels--This is a documentary about a teacher from the Non-Profit organization Kids With Cameras, who goes into the red-light district of Calcutta, India. Children of prostitues are destined to prostitution in what becomes a continual ring of destruction. The point of this "project" (for lack of a better word), is to provide a way for these children to break out of what destines them to prostitution through art. Since children of prostitutes are not allowed in schools, Kids With Cameras eventually starts a boarding school for some of the children to attend. The redemption in this movie is incredible. And it's real!

2 comments:

tlphillipsjr said...

Amor es Perros? Jared I cant believe you would support a movie about beastiality- I'm appaled!

Trey

tlphillipsjr said...

ive been thinking jared- you may as well quit talking about these talkies- they are so a fad that will be going out soon