Monday, December 11, 2006

El Dia de la Virgen de Guadalupe

Today commemorates the day in which Juan Diego crossed the hill of Tepeyac in order to attend Mass when he was met by the Virgen of Guadalupe. You can check out the story here http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/guadalupe.html.

It's a holiday called The Day of the Virgen of Guadalupe and I'm saddened by the mysticism and straight up idol worship that has crept into Christianity. I'm speaking particularly of Latin American Catholicism, but in light of some discussions I have had with some people this week, it's applicable to various "Christian" sects out there right now. It's not a new thing. I'm thinking about Galatians and how Paul is passionate that the people have forsaken "Sola Gratia" (although not in Reformation terminology). His plea is a return to true Christianity where Christ alone cures our sin through Grace alone.

I'm watching a celebration on Univision that has different musical acts perform songs to the Virgen (a worship service to the Virgen, basically). In between, a priest reads scripture (and has a terrible Spanish accent I might add). Earlier they showed different Catholic church locations around North America and interviewed people who had come from all over. People were filled with gratitude for the miracles the Virgen had granted them. I'm reminded of the celebration to the Virgen in Cholula, where I was in Mexico. It was terribly saddening to see so many people, so many religious people, take something true and tweak it to something untrue.

*Right now one of the singers is taking a vocal break in the song to thank a picture of the Virgen for loving here and being with her always.

Some of you may have heard me say this before, but one of my first days in Puebla, I found myself in a cathedral. In the front right of the church was a statue of the Virgen with the words "Come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest" written above her. I think that about sums it up.

Such a beautiful people. A people I am downright in love with. And yet they are caught up in idols in the very religion we share in name. I'm gonna go pray for them.

1 comment:

Paula said...

It would behoove you to practice some of the christianity you lament is not apparent in our Virgencita's feast day. Better yet, get a life.