Sunday, January 06, 2008

Ladies of the Night

You can't tell me that's not an intriguing title. Late Friday night, 3 friends and I decided to go to the Zócalo (center of Mexico City) to check out the world's largest ice skating rink which has been there for the entire month of December. This is not where the Ladies of the Night enter.


When my friends and I arrived at the Zócalo, the rink looked nothing like this:






"Why?" you ask. Not only was it midnight and so the entire square was lit up with Christmas lights, but there were virtually no people downtown as the rink had already closed for the night. Now, living in a city with a population of somewhere between 25 and 30 million people can sometimes feel strange. But it doesn't get much stranger than living in a city with 25 to 30 million people and feeling like you're alone. My friends and I walked the perimeter of the square soaking in the sensation of living in such a grand, monstrous city and feeling like it was somehow, all of a sudden, all for us. We were the objects of the city's attention. It was made for us and not for anyone else. This is also not where the Ladies of the Night enter.


We were a bit disappointed to find that when the ice skating rink is closed, you actually can't even see the ice. So, we saw the perimeter of the rink, but not the actual ice itself. I am still glad that we went, seeing as this rink has caused a great bit of discussion, and even dissention, here in the Distrito Federal. There was a big stink amongst most of the people I know viewing the rink as a distraction from all of the poverty in Mexico, and that Mexican goverment funds, which could have been used to give people food and drink, were insted wasted on entertainment. However, I have now learned that the rink was completely paid for by private donors. I just read a very interesting article discussing the social implications of the ice skating rink.

In order to get home from the downtown area, we took a main road named Tlalpan. Enter Ladies of the Night. Now, I had been warned upon venturing to the Zócalo that Tlalpan is one of the main drags (at least in our part of the city) for prostitution. What really blew my mind though, was the organization of it all. I was told, "Just look for lines of cars stopped on the side of the road. That's where you'll find the Ladies of the Night." I should also add that this road does not have a shoulder. These cars, suitors if you will, were stopped in the far right lane of this major highway waiting for some midnight loving. And so, without fail, when we saw the lines of cars, which ranged from 3 to 6 or 7, there was always a group of scantily clad ladies waiting to do business at the front of the line of cars. I really couldn't believe that, without fail, every line of cars was waiting for a visit from the Ladies of the Night. I speak of it lightly now, but it honestly made me feel deep sadness at how used these women are and the temptation that their service brings to men.

As we passed the 5th or 6th group of cars waiting on the Ladies of the Night, I saw a police car turn onto the main drag. I asked, "So, what do the police think of the prostitution here? Do they arrest the ladies?" The response should not have shocked me: "Are you kidding? The police live it up. They are the pimps." There you have it folks, a corrupt legal system that actually feeds on illegal activity. Not only are they feeding on illegal activity, but they are feeding on the lives of precious women and the improperly used desires of men. How do you cure a sick system when the very people who should be upholding the law are the leeches that keep the system bleeding and broken? How do you cure it when the very people you claim to want to protect and deliver are the very people you oppress and abuse?

Lord Jesus, come quickly.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

um. i accidentally deleted my comment. thats weird. i said something like...

so that's what D.F. stands for. it's been bugging me.

and i think it's sad how women feel trapped in prostitution because they need the money.