Friday, July 04, 2008

It's Time to Break the Silence

With a list.



On our last team getaway, we escaped to a nearby geyser with wading pools to relax and get to know each other better as individuals. It was a pretty relaxing time, and one of the funnest things was that we began asking each other very creative questions. One of my favorites, and one that (as you will see) I am still thinking about is this:



If you had to have a single song looping in your head (like your soundtrack) for a full day, what song would you choose?



As I said, I have continued to think about this. Thus, I have formed this list:



1) Seal--Kissed By a Rose

The not-so-official video





You remember this song from the Batman Forever soundtrack, right? I developed a deep love for this song after graduating high school when one of my good friends and I went to Cornerstone Music Festival. We camped all week right by one of the stages, and every morning they would blast this song over the speakers. I loved the music festival and it really helped me to appreciate this song. Seriously, I can't get enough of this song.

2) Mariah Carey--Always Be My Baby

This was a surprise pick, seeing as I had completely forgotten about this song. However, when a good friend casually mentioned that it was stuck in her head and then sent me the video it spawned a ton of memories and feelings. You see, my first slow dance, which was in the 5th grade, was to this song. For some reason, I remember almost everything about it. I remember that I was at a pool party. I remember that it started raining and we had to go into the dance room of the sports club. I remember how the room smelled. And, finally, I remember exactly how I felt as I slow dance to this song. I was entering into my teenage years and all the crushes and emotions that go along with that. Honestly, this comes in a very close second on this list. Such a great song. Thanks Mariah.



Note: I realize that David Cook's version of this song is very popular. However, David Cook's version was not playing when I had my first slow dance; therefore, in my mind, Mariah's version is infinitely better.

3) Puff Daddy--I'll Be Missing You

Now, before you question me on this, the answer is "Yes, I do realize that he ripped this off from The Police." However, I completely approve. If you haven't already realized this (and you probably have), Sting's version is extremely creepy. It's basically about a stalker. But what does Puff Daddy (oh how I miss when that was his name) turn the song into but a form mourning and remembering the death of a good friend. I will also note that this is the only P. Diddy song I have ever liked. But man, that guitar is so smooth. And then you have the choir that adds an uplifting tone. Plus, the bridge by Faith Evans is just incredible--I still remembered that melody from like 10 years ago.





4) Mims-This Is Why I'm Hot

Now, as far as quality goes, there is no question that this song doesn't measure up to the other selections on this list. In ten years, people will not be including it on their "If You Had to Listen to One Song Looped For a Whole Day" lists. But, I don't live ten years in the future and I am including it on my list. And here's why: it makes you feel cool. Now, some people might bash that reasoning, but they secretly want to sing the chorus-line: "This is why I'm hot, this is why I'm hot, this is why, this is why, this is why I'm hot." This song is fun, easy to sing, and very easy to "bounce" to.






But this isn't just about me! Leave a comment with what song you would choose if you had to hear a single song looped in your head for an entire day.

1 comment:

i'mthechief said...

david cook is infinitely more attractive than mariah carey, so his version wins.

glad you updated. for a moment i thought i was at the wrong blog.

i sing the mims song in my car, quietly to myself, because it is so hot in my car.