Thursday, October 13, 2005

Things I love about Mexico...

I must say, when I hear other people from the study abroad program here talk about how they don't like studying here because it's no France or Spain or whatever, it makes me quite mad. The fact is, I love this country, and here are some reasons why:

The mornings-I love walking out of the gate of my house in the morning. The alley I live in forms a tunnel into the light. So, I ride my bike over the cobblestone street into the warm of the morning sunshine. It's really great. Then, I turn onto the main road which basically looks like the Mexican road you would picture if someone told you to think about a Mexican road. It's really simple and beautiful. There are taco stands, stray dogs, pollution-making cars (i know because it kills my lungs as I ride my bike), women walking with babies strapped to their backs with really indigenous looking blankets, children in school uniforms, and two of the most beautiful (ok and only) volcanos I've ever seen. That's why I like the mornings.

The women-If you know me, there need not be an explaination here. I walk around my campus every day and think about how beautiful the "chavas" are here.

Public Transportation-I take the bus almost every day here. Two days a week I ride it an hour into Puebla and an hour back for community service. I have learned to love people watching and just being amongst other Mexicans. Sometimes it's really hot and sometimes I have to stand up for almost 45 minutes of the ride, but other than that, it's really special. I'm gonna miss it. Why doesn't America have better public transportation?

Tacos-I was never a huge taco fan before coming here, but I have to say, I have been converted from my evil ways. These tacos are made from meet sliced off of a warm rotating masterpiece of beef and there is always spicy salsa and lime available for my tasting pleasure. Hmmm.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

mmmm.. mexican food.

It's great to hear about your experiences. keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Reading about your experience is really encouraging to me. so..keep updating!