Saturday, October 22, 2005

this is not a dream

As you can imagine, being in Mexico (or any foreign place) provides a number of different feelings and emotions. I've had this really surreal experience quite a few times when I actually stop and think, "I am in Mexico" which is usually followed by sincere thankfulness for where I am and what I am doing. Today was one of those times. My good friend/special friend (not exactly sure what to call her at this point) Silvia and I went to the market this morning. We took the bus, which went the long way today, through the really ancient city that I live in, Cholula. I couldn't help but bask in the sun and the experience of driving down a dirt road which included basic housing, random horses, a field of wild yellow flowers, and cows (which Silvia is absolutely in love with). When we got to the market it was my time to really observe, so I watched Silvia buy her groceries for the next few hours. Please note the difference between market (which is the open-air place with fresh stuff and indigenous people) and supermarket (which would be Wal-Mart). So, I watched Silvia buy Papaya, Cactus, Cilantro, Avocado, and a bunch of other fresh foods. We walked by raw hanging meet, dead, skinned chickens with their heads hanging over the counter, and candy skulls made for "day of the dead." It was great. If you enjoy people watching (or even just observing for that matter), the experience is intensified like 20 times when you are in a different country.

After the market, we made our way to the supermarket, which consisted of taking a bus back to the school and then walking to the "bodega." The scenary of the walk was basically wasteland with views of poverty and bridges and restaurants. I know that I've said this before, but today was another time when redemption in the face of poverty was very real to me. I woke up realizing that I was in a foreign country and was amazed by the things I observed. There is a certain contentment that comes with being with someone you care about and observing created things. There is the fall, but there is also redemption. Redemption was real to me today. I pray that I might believe and enjoy it more every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.