Thursday, March 27, 2008

In Music News

I've been both intrigued and utterly confused the last two times I've been to my local Mix-Up (the biggest chain of music stores in Mexico). In general, they have the same music section titles as we do plus an English section. So, when you're browsing, it looks something like this...Rock en español, Rock en inglés, Pop en español, Pop en inglés, Música electrónica, Música norteña, Soundtracks, Death Trash. WAIT...Death Trash? Both times I've been in this specific store, I have stopped, done a double take, and laughed. I suppose they are taking "death" from "death metal." As for "trash," I'm just gonna guess that it should be "thrash" stemming from "thrash metal." Regardless, the phrase "Death Trash" will forever make me chuckle.

ALSO on my latest visit to Mix-Up, I was enlightened to the fact that Milli Vanilli has a new greatest hits record. So many questions come to mind. Is this just a Mexico thing or is this world-wide? If it is just a Mexico thing, is there some secret Milli Vanilli following I don't know about here? Where is Milli Vanilli now? Where is Vh1's "Where Are They Now?" when you need it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mix-up. that's a neat name for a music store.