Thursday, March 20, 2008

To Have Too Much is to Have Nothing

In Mexico, not many places take Credit or Debit Cards. The normal result of that is that one has to watch his or her finances as to not be stuck somewhere without any cash. However, it's not long before one realizes that the other extreme is quite plausible as well. Not only can I not have too little money, but I can't have too much money, at least not in large bills. The average establishment cannot make change for large bills, and many places (for example taxis, small restaurants, gas stations) will many times not accept large bills. Hence my yesterday's frustrations:


7am I need to be at church to serve at our Semana Santa community breakfasts. Since it is early, I decide to take a taxi to buy me some extra time to rest and get ready. When it is time to leave I check my wallet to see what kind of bills I have. Alas, I have only A SINGLE 500 PESO BILL. That's the equivalent of a 50 dollar bill. It is then that I realize that my day will be cursed. Knowing that no taxi driver will be able to make change for my bill (it takes about 3 dollars to get to church), I hope I will find a store that can give me change. However, since it is so early, no stores are open. I then begin my microbus, metro, microbus pilgrimage to the church. Arriving at the metro, I decide to check at a farmacy and a snack shop to see if by some miracle of God they have change. They do not.

10am After the church breakfast I am dead tired and need to get home for a solid nap. However, I still have "no" money. Thankfully, a friend from church offers to give me a ride.

4:30pm After English Club I am dying of thirst. But the puesto at the UNAM is not very well going to have change for 500 pesos. A friend is kind enough to lend me ten pesos (a dollar). I am now in debt because I have 50 dollars.

7:30pm I need to get back to my place quick to shower and change before I head out to have dinner and drinks with a friend. I need a taxi. But twelve hours after my original discovery of my 500 peso curse, I still haven't gotten rid of the maldito bill. Another friend is kind enough to lend me 3o pesos (3 dollars). I am now 4 dollars in debt because I have 50 dollars.

10pm After some delicious proof of God's goodness in the form of tacos al pastor, I lay down my cursed bill and cross my fingers that the waiter will accept this loaded offering. To my surprise he brings me back a tray full of change and I wonder at the fact that I actually have money now. The curse is passed on to some other poor joker who will go an entire day with a full wallet but be forced to live as if he had absolutely no money.

Moral of the story: In the Third World, to have too much is to have nothing at all.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Amen. Thankfully we do have a 7/11 here on every corner who gives change. They know when I walk through the doors, I'm going to give them a 1000 baht bill. Enjoyed your story.

Anonymous said...

Great post. 500 peso bills were created by the devil.